Energy support close to the consumption
To help improve performance by making better use of energy, energy storage is increasingly being introduced into systems to create hybrid solutions. Various storage methods are being used but, due to reductions in battery costs and increases in energy density, battery utilization is seen as being the fastest growing and more easily integrated storage medium available today. DC/DC converters can be used to connect to sources such as batteries, super capacitors, fuel cells and solar panels.
Due to the wide input range of the source voltages, for example battery, the VACON® NXP DC/DC Converter application can be used to match source voltage to a common DC bus system in order to utilize the stored energy to create the right DC bus voltage required to operate the machinery running on these hybrid systems.
The VACON® NXP DC/DC Converter application can be installed in both liquid- and air-cooled VACON® NXP drive modules.
Supply voltages and power range
3 x 380-500 V...180-1100 kW with battery voltages from 100Vdc* to 800Vdc**
3 x 525-690 V...200-1200 kW with battery voltages from 100Vdc* to 1100Vdc**
3 x 380-500 V...160-1800 kW with battery voltages from 100Vdc* to 800Vdc**
3 x 525-690 V...210-1800 kW with battery voltages from 100Vdc* to 1100Vdc**
*Minimum voltage is case dependent
**Depending on system DC bus voltage. Source (battery) voltage must always be lower than the DC bus voltage.
Features and benefits
- Using the same VACON® NXP hardware and control platform, DC/DC converters require very little additional investment for the same amount of system flexibility
- A modular solution, DC/DC converters are easily added to the DC bus of a system providing almost instant access to additional DC sources and easy expansion
- Utilizing the same VACON® NXP hardware configurations, service teams require little to no additional training
- Wide range of current ratings ensures simpler integration of an extensive variety of common battery bank voltages
- Aging battery stacks are easy to replace to ensure reduced downtime
- Compatible with a wide variety of DC voltage sources or energy storage mediums
- Peak shaving
- Integrating renewable energy sources (solar, fuel cells) to common DC bus systems
- Adding energy storage (batteries) to common DC bus systems